What is digital marketing?
To understand “digital marketing” requires knowing the two terms separately first. “Marketing” is the sector or undertaking that promotes a brand, message, product, or service to a specific audience through research and advertising content. “Digital” encompasses all that is electronic, including devices such as phones and televisions, communications and platforms such as e-mail and e-commerce, and more.
Digital marketing then is the marketing of targeted content through digital channels. This ranges from websites and email newsletters to social media accounts and mobile applications. As with traditional marketing, digital marketers can communicate their branding or messages through organic or paid means. Nevertheless, the mechanisms and tools for digital marketing allows for more creative and more targeting campaigns and approaches.
Table of Contents
Importance and relevance of digital marketing
In today’s world, almost everything involves a digital element. So much so that “digital marketing” is assumed to be part of traditional marketing now. However, this is not necessarily the case. Emails are similar but not like paper brochures and newsletters. YouTube and social media sites do host videos, but in much more expansive and effective ways than broadcast television ads. The main thing that makes digital marketing more important and relevant than traditional marketing is that most people will interact with emails and social media than they would with paper brochures and TV ads.
Digital marketing is here to stay, and as technology develops, so will the strategies and tools available.
Advantages of digital marketing
Digital marketing is a distinct discipline that offers your brand’s product or service a wide range of benefits. A smart digital marketing strategy understands the different channels available and how best to leverage them. In doing so, you can create what could feel like a direct conversation with your ideal customer, encouraging them to take action, which is usually to buy your product or service.
As the online world has almost no borders, digital marketing allows a brand to connect to a much wider audience than traditional means. At the same time, through precise use of keywords, social media platforms, and other tools, digital marketing can also reach targeted audience to ensure those most interested will get your message. With all this flexibility also comes great agility because digital marketing is much easier to change on the fly for much lower cost by using readily available statistics and measurements to gauge success.
Types of digital marketing
There are many types of digital marketing that can be combined and tailored to meet different branding needs and budgets. The major types include:
- SEO, or search engine optimization, is where you make the best use of keywords within your website and blog posts so that it ranks higher on search engine results, which in turns drives more traffic to your site.
- Social Media Marketing allows your company to promote its brand awareness as well as drive your website traffic through social media accounts and interactions on such platforms as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- PPC, or Pay Per Click, is a targeted advertising campaign on various channels, such as on Google or Facebook. As the name suggests, you would only pay for each click your ad receives.
- Email Marketing involves direct connection to individuals through email communications which you can tailor based on subscriptions.
- Video Marketing can be applied to many different channels such as websites and social media platforms, so that you can share your messaging through moving pictures as well as words.
- Content Marketing provides you with the opportunity to show your brand as a thought leader or a front runner in the market with expert articles or infographics.
- Affiliate marketing works much the same as a referral service. Other websites or social media accounts create their own content while mentioning your brand, expanding your reach in exchange for a commission for clicks converted to sales.
There are many more types of digital marketing, including sponsored content and affiliate advertising, which could all become part of your digital marketing campaign.
How to get started with digital marketing
This article just gives you a short overview and small sample of the wider world of digital marketing. You could just start on your own with a Facebook account and some blog posts, but will you be able to make the most of digital marketing opportunities without wasting your time and money?
If you need assistance with your digital marketing plan and execution, you need an experience digital marketing agency like IBEX Media Group. We offer full-service digital marketing solutions to ensure your brand and messaging reaches your target audience for the best result. Contact us today to find out how we can help you.